Celebrity engagement rings have long been the most valuable and sensational jewelry in the public eye. Jacqueline Kennedy Take a look at our top 10 most expensive celebrity engagement rings, from Jackie Kennedy’s 40.42 carat diamond to Kim Kardashian’s stolen ring.
Top 10 Most Expensive Celebrity Engagement Rings in the World
- 10. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis & Aristotle Onassis $2.6 million
- 9. Vanessa Bryant & Kobe Bryant $4 million
- 8. Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier II of Monaco $406 million
- 7. Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony $4.1 million
- 6. Paris Hilton & Paris Latsis $4.7 million
- 5. Beyoncé & Jay-Z $5 million
- 4. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West $8 million
- 3. Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton $8.8 million
- 2. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West $10 million
- 1. Mariah Carey & James Packer $10 million
- Why are Engagement Rings Expensive?
10. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis & Aristotle Onassis $2.6 million
Jackie Kennedy’s 40.42 carat Harry Winston diamond is the third largest of the famous 601 carat Lesotho rough diamonds. In 1996, the ring sold for $2.6 million at Jackie Kennedy’s real estate auction.
Also known as Legotho III, it was given to Jackie by Greek magnate Aristotle Onassis in 1968. Due to the size and value of the diamond ring, Jacqueline Jackie is said to have worn the ring twice before keeping it in a safe. The diamond was a marquise-cut, VS2 clarity and L color stone.
9. Vanessa Bryant & Kobe Bryant $4 million
In 2003, Kobe Bryant gifted Vanessa Bryant a purple 8-carat engagement ring worth $4 million. Kobe bought this ring, dubbed the ‘apology ring’, after a high-profile criminal case in which he was found guilty. Despite their ups and downs, the couple are still together to this day.
8. Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier II of Monaco $406 million
Actress Grace Kelly met Prince Rainier II of Monaco at the 1955 Cannes Film Festival, which marked the start of her most famous love story.
Prince Rainier proposed to Kelly a beautiful Cartier ring made of a 10.47 carat emerald-cut diamond surrounded by two embellishments. Legendary style icon Grace Kelly’s elegant engagement ring comes from film high society.
7. Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony $4.1 million
Jennifer Lopez’s 6-carat pink diamond ring from ex-fiance Ben Affleck made headlines in the early 2000s, but Mark Anthony made the headlines with a much more expensive 8.5-carat blue diamond ring. surpassed it. Colored diamonds are incredibly rarer than white diamonds.
6. Paris Hilton & Paris Latsis $4.7 million
Although the engagement broke four months later, he gave Paris Hilton a 24-carat contract ring. Reportedly, Paris said the ring was so large that she injured her finger. After they parted, Hilton put it up for auction to help Hurricane Katrina victims.
5. Beyoncé & Jay-Z $5 million
Jeweler Lorraine Schwartz created an 18-carat emerald-cut diamond ring that Jay-Z proposed to Beyonce. The two were ultimately married at a private wedding in Manhattan in 2008. The large $5 million diamond ring forked in two is a bold and genuine piece of art.
4. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West $8 million
Kim Kardashian’s engagement ring became popular, especially after an upgraded diamond ring was later stolen from Paris. Kanye West initially proposed to Kim Kardashian in a 15 carat, cushion cut, D color, perfect diamond by Larraine Schwartz and was heavily involved in the design process. He later gifted her with her second diamond ring, which was stolen shortly after her 2016.
3. Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton $8.8 million
One of the most famous diamonds on our list is Elizabeth Taylor’s Krupp Diamond, which Richard Burton gave her in 1968.
The Krupp Diamond is a 33.19 carat, D color, VS1 clarity, asscher-cut diamond. Burton bought the ring at an auction and presented it to Elizabeth Taylor on a yacht in London. She loved her ring so much that she wore it often in the movies she appeared in.
This legendary diamond sold for $8.8 million at Taylor’s real estate auction in 2011. In the process, the old price per carat record was broken.
2. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West $10 million
In 2016, Kanye West upgraded her wife’s engagement ring to a 20-carat emerald-cut Lorraine Schwartz ring with the word “Adidas” engraved on the inside to commemorate the West’s recent Adidas deal. Just months after Kim Kardashian received the ring, it was stolen by a gun-wielding robber in Paris.
1. Mariah Carey & James Packer $10 million
The most expensive celebrity engagement ring on this list is the huge 35-carat ring that Mariah Carey received from billionaire fiancée James Packer.
This ring was created by New York jeweler Wilfredo Rosado, who designed the ring to be as large and extravagant as possible. Mariah joked that ‘the ring was so heavy that she struggled to lift her arm.’ The couple began ending their relationship in 2016.
Why are Engagement Rings Expensive?
- The value of an engagement ring comes from the ring’s largest gemstone. The main factors that determine how valuable an engagement ring is:
- Carat weight
- Color grade
- Cut grade
- Intelligibility grade
- All of these factors work together to determine the ultimate value of an engagement ring.